Comcast_Is_Starting_The_Tiered_Internet_Whether_We_Like_It_or_Not

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Tue Aug 21 13:17:27 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 19:01 +0000, blr at robertsr.us wrote:
> > Corey Edwards wrote:
> > Let me give you a better example with some hard figures. As you may have
> > inferred (I certainly do not attempt to hide it), I work for an ISP. We
> > offer wireless service and occasionally will see problems caused by p2p
> > filesharing. The problem isn't the bandwidth (I've got upload bandwidth
> > coming out my ears) but packets. We'll have a tower where one user is
> > sharing files and causing decreased service to maybe 50 other customers.
> > So we put a filter on the user's IP and call them up and ask them to
> > stop. It's a courtesy to everyone involved since due to one user's
> > actions, everyone (even the customer in question) is being hurt.
>
> I would be applauding comcast if that was even remotely similar to what
> they have done.  That's very reasonable and customer-centric behavior.
>
> There was no protocol limitation in my TOS.  There was no bandwidth cap.
> There was NO notification of any change, and it applies to everybody, not
> just problem users.  One day seeding stopped working.  I spent a couple of
> hours checking my port forwarding ranges, trying different torrents,
> checking my config, etc. then gave up.  A few days later I see that I'm
> not the only one, it's comcast's fault, and that is REALLY FREAKING
> ANNOYING.

>From what you describe, I certainly would agree. A lot of the big ISPs
have learned the worst habits from their telco parents/peers. Cue Lily
Tomlin's classic character[1]. As a small ISP, we live or die by our
customer service, so it's our vested interest to make sure every single
one of our customers is happy. We need to bring that incentive back to
the big companies as well. Municipally provided fiber with open access
to ISPs I think is a great way to do that. It's all about the
competition.

Corey

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9e3dTOJi0o