Comcast_Is_Starting_The_Tiered_Internet_Whether_We_Like_It_or_Not

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 10:33:10 MDT 2007

On 8/21/07, Corey Edwards <tensai at zmonkey.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-08-21 at 10:02 -0600, Clint Savage wrote:
> > I see where this is going, we're going to debate whether changing
> > their TOS is appropriate.  I don't think that's the issue here though.
> >  The real issue is:
> >
> > If Comcast can block one particular protocol from being sent across
> > their wires, what's to stop them (or another major/minor ISP) from
> > doing it to other protocols/traffic.  Since when is it illegal to use
> > bittorrent?  Since when does an ISP have the right to say what types
> > of traffic I can send?  Since when should I bow down to them and take
> > it?
>
> What about an ISP blocking the latest virus/worm? Would you rather they
> didn't block that traffic? Wouldn't an ISP be considered derelict of
> duty if they failed to block it?

If the customer wants it, you should do it.  Did I request they
block/limit my bittorrent traffic?  Did other customers?  I doubt it.

> If you had a choice to make between 1 customer's service being degraded
> (due to a p2p limit or similar) or 20 customers' service being disrupted
> due to packet floods, which would you choose?

The limits they make are artificial.  YES, they are.  So really its
them choosing to limit the 200 customers using bittorrent in favor of
not improving their services.

> > I understand they have limitations, but those limitations are
> > artificial.  They limit consumer bandwidth only to let business
> > bandwidth in at a higher price.  I honestly think that businesses and
> > consumers should pay the same price.
>
> If you're not getting anything more for a business package over a
> residential package, then yeah that's a rip off. But my customers do get
> more for their business class service.

What do business customers get?  I mean I get the concept of service
levels, but if it comes down to bandwidth and access, then no, they
shouldn't be charged more.  If they get more services then I guess I
can see that being viable.