Jonathan Ellis jonathan at
Tue Aug 21 10:12:42 MDT 2007

On 8/21/07, Clint Savage <herlo1 at> wrote:
> If Comcast can block one particular protocol from being sent across
> their wires, what's to stop them (or another major/minor ISP) from
> doing it to other protocols/traffic.  Since when is it illegal to use
> bittorrent?  Since when does an ISP have the right to say what types
> of traffic I can send?

I don't think it's as black and white as you're painting it.  They're
looking at it as, "since when do we not have the right to say what
types of traffic we transmit across our own network."

Most people, I think, would agree that ISPs are not obligated to allow
known spam across.  Where is the line?  Is there really a line at all?