Comcast_Is_Starting_The_Tiered_Internet_Whether_We_Like_It_or_Not

Clint Savage herlo1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 10:02:22 MDT 2007

I see where this is going, we're going to debate whether changing
their TOS is appropriate.  I don't think that's the issue here though.
 The real issue is:

If Comcast can block one particular protocol from being sent across
their wires, what's to stop them (or another major/minor ISP) from
doing it to other protocols/traffic.  Since when is it illegal to use
bittorrent?  Since when does an ISP have the right to say what types
of traffic I can send?  Since when should I bow down to them and take
it?

I understand they have limitations, but those limitations are
artificial.  They limit consumer bandwidth only to let business
bandwidth in at a higher price.  I honestly think that businesses and
consumers should pay the same price.

Don't change my internet.  Don't disable one protocol in favor of
another.  I don't get how the ISP can control what kind of traffic we
run.  To them it should *just* be a packet, nothing more, nothing
less.  If we send too many packets, limit them all, but don't limit by
type of packet.

Clint