server for sale

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Mon Aug 20 12:59:27 MDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-20 at 12:46 -0600, Steven Alligood wrote:
> blr at robertsr.us wrote:
> >> whereas PGP sprung up from the
> >> open source community to encrypt stuff, and was later added into email
> >> as a nifty way to handle email encryption.
> >>

> > Erm, that's not the way I remember it.  PGP is commercial software
> > developed by Phil Zimmerman.  GPG came along much later.
> >
> > Barry Roberts
> >

> You are right; I misrepresented that.
>
> PGP was not "open source" although the source code was available to
> download and compile, use, etc (most projects back then didn't worry as
> much about legalities and licensing, etc).  It later became a closed
> commercial product, which pushed the community to write GPG.

I downloaded and played with the first PGP release. It was exciting but
not nearly as usable as it is today, certainly not for email. From the
beginning though it has been planned as an email encryption tool, hence
the option to ASCII armor the output.

There's an interesting story about the source code for PGP. Phil wanted
everybody to have encryption, but it was illegal to export PGP out of
the country since it was classified as a munition alongside nuclear
weapons technology. Yeah, that makes sense. But when printed in a book
it was a different story and they were able to get the code out of the
country using that hack.

http://www.philzimmermann.com/EN/essays/BookPreface.html

Corey