server for sale

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Mon Aug 20 12:46:28 MDT 2007

blr at robertsr.us wrote:
>> Corey Edwards wrote:
>> whereas PGP sprung up from the
>> open source community to encrypt stuff, and was later added into email
>> as a nifty way to handle email encryption.
>>

> Erm, that's not the way I remember it.  PGP is commercial software
> developed by Phil Zimmerman.  GPG came along much later.
>
> Barry Roberts

You are right; I misrepresented that.

PGP was not "open source" although the source code was available to
download and compile, use, etc (most projects back then didn't worry as
much about legalities and licensing, etc).  It later became a closed
commercial product, which pushed the community to write GPG.