server for sale

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Mon Aug 20 09:40:04 MDT 2007

Corey Edwards wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-08-17 at 20:45 -0600, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:
>
>>> I see. So one has to have a proprietary extension to either Apple Mail
>>> or Outlook from Thawte to use this? Sounds rather useless to me.
>>>
>> That's not my understanding. I thought that the format of the digital
>> signature was a open standard and that the only reason it didn't work
>> with Outlook was because nothing that is a industry standard does.
>> Are the digital email signatures that Thawte provides not a common
>> format? I thought that most decent email clients understood them. No?
>>

> It's an S/MIME signed message and it works fine in Evolution. Shows up
> just the same as a PGP signed message and in fact that's what I assumed
> it was before viewing the details. Why have one standard when we could
> have two for twice the price?

S/MIME was specifically designed for email, using asymmetric encryption
and Certificate Authorities (verisign, thawte, etc), attempting to use
very similar technology to SSL and TLS, whereas PGP sprung up from the
open source community to encrypt stuff, and was later added into email
as a nifty way to handle email encryption.

Choose whichever (or both) suite your needs.  I prefer the method that
all the major email clients already understand, due to who I email in
the course of business.  Your mileage may vary.

BTW, are any of the PLUGers in the thawte web of trust and can sign off
on the other members?  If not, it may be worth getting a few who can do it.

-Steve