Salary Spin

rog circle at utahweb.com
Sun Aug 19 11:20:48 MDT 2007

Dave Smith wrote:
> Brandon Stout wrote:
>> 1. People leave their company for another one precisely because they
>> received a better offer
>> 2. Companies need a fresh perspective, and frequently hire from
>> competitors when possible to bring this in
>

> 3. Companies know that to get someone to leave a job where they are
> happy, they need to offer more money than the other company is paying.
>
> --Dave

In the 1970's a major oil company used large main frame computers to
calculate where to drill oil wells.  One the software geeks told his
boss.  Give me a raise in this range or I will quit.   Top oil company
execs said, "No way.  No computer, whatever he  does, could be worth
that kind of money.  Even worse.  If we give one of those computer
people a salary like that, then we must give huge raises to everyone
else in that department.'

So the geek left the company and went back to school to finish his Phd
in CS.  A few weeks later the upper management was saying,  "Why
happened?  Why do we now have all these problems with the computer
department?"  As long as the geek was there, senior management may have
heard, but did not appreciate what the geek did for them.  It is nearly
always true.  As long as things are going well.  No one realizes how
much the computer software people are doing.  Mostly people hear about
what the computer department does is when things go bad.

Within a few months.  All the computer software people were given very
large raises.

If your job is keeping the servers going.  As long as everything usually
works.  Management will see you as easily replaceable.   If things go
bad on your watch often enough, even if it not your fault, Then you will
be replaced.