What to put on Resume?

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Fri Aug 17 11:10:42 MDT 2007

On 8/17/07, Nicholas Leippe <nick at leippe.com> wrote:
> I highly recommend purchasing a copy of the book "What color is your
> parachute".  It begins with a very good discussion of the futility of
> resumes, but does also continue that because they are still used, and you
> must, each resume should be tailored specifically for each opening to which
> you are applying.

Bingo.  I totally agree with this approach.  I always try to do a
little research into the company I'm applying at.  If possible, I like
to read the online job description to better learn what I should
emphasize in the resume I craft for that potential employer.

Say I wanted to apply to work for Google in NY.  Here is the job description:
http://www.google.com/support/jobs/bin/answer.py?answer=37462

I would go heavy on showcasing the Java, JSP/Servlet, Linux/Unix,
MySQL, JavaScript, SOAP, ORM, XML, C++, and agile development
experience I have.  I wouldn't list my Java desktop experience -- they
don't care.  I wouldn't list my VB, MFC, Windows experience -- again,
they don't care.  The job description is short, so I will keep my
resume short.

Now, say I wanted to work for Trice Systems, LLC in NJ.  Here is that
job description:
http://seeker.dice.com/jobsearch/servlet/JobSearch?op=302&dockey=xml/4/b/4b3a749985847b225264d44e009da8ad@endecaindex

I would go heavy on showcasing the Java, Swing, desktop, Windows, Mac,
PHP, networking experience.  No JSP or app server stuff -- these guys
don't care.  I may list my VB, MFC, Windows client development
experience -- it may be interesting to them.

Anyway.  This is how I go about resume crafting.  I hope someone finds
it helpful.

-Bryan