Salary Spin

Steve smorrey at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 17:24:45 MDT 2007


I wanted to chime in on this one really quickly.
Money is important, but it can't be the primary motivating factor in a
job hunt, or you'll end up with a crappy job you don't enjoy.

Job satisfaction needs to be number 1, salary (including benefits)
needs to be number two.
I recently performed a job I enjoyed very much, for a small local
company in provo, both because of the job itself and the company
atmosphere. I took a huge pay cut to do it, I am still a part of that
organization and try to check back in as often as possible.  I would
go back there in a heart beat even with the lower pay, because I
enjoyed the place and the people I was working with.

That said, you do need to make sure you get yourself a living wage
that equals or exceeds your need for pay.  Unfortunately this is Utah,
and proper paying work is very hard to find.

Sincerely,
Steve

On 8/16/07, Mister E <Mister.Ed at agoracart.com> wrote:
> shoot fer a good salary, the best you can get at the time.
>
> If yer worth your salt, you will find raises appear when you work with
> an employer. However, if they only care about saving money or playing
> the part of scrooge, I think most folks would find that the job was not
> fulfilling long before raises were an issue and/or pay scales were
> discovered, as there would be other culture indications/problems.
>
> On the other hand, if an employer is looking for motivated personnel,
> they will reward those over paycheck collectors (if they are worth their
> salt) ... my philosophy is to get rid of those types of employees, no
> matter their talent, as they are uninspiring and intolerable to work
> with and demand very high pay.  Productivity means nothing to me if the
> producer is a prima donna, or even smells like one, and cannot work into
> the company culture.
>
> This whole thread suggests money is a lasting motivator. I disagree with
> that basis.  While making a living is important, once you earn one pay
> scale, you will consume any new levels of income, and then desire more
> in a seemingly never ending cycle.  It's human nature.  I've been at the
> top where I could earn a thousands in 60 seconds and still be stressed
> for the lack of funds, and then be at other points were $2000 was more
> than enough for an entire month.  So if yer just job hopping for
> paycheck carrots, then yer probably not a good employee/investment in
> the long run, except for working in large companies that really don't
> give a flying leap about their employees and waste money just to hear
> their name echoing in a dry toilet because it sounded good (like CEOs
> and VPs that move around almost annually).
>
> Right now is a time to get away with such practices, but when things get
> tight, as they always cycle back to at various points, smart HR folks
> will be looking for known loyalty combined with the desired talent.  The
> rest will be out at the soup line looking for a different type of handout.
>
> Mister Ed
>
>
>
>
>
>
> /*
> PLUG: http://plug.org, #utah on irc.freenode.net
> Unsubscribe: http://plug.org/mailman/options/plug
> Don't fear the penguin.
> */
>



More information about the PLUG mailing list