Salary Spin

Mister E Mister.Ed at AgoraCart.com
Thu Aug 16 17:05:08 MDT 2007

shoot fer a good salary, the best you can get at the time.

If yer worth your salt, you will find raises appear when you work with
an employer. However, if they only care about saving money or playing
the part of scrooge, I think most folks would find that the job was not
fulfilling long before raises were an issue and/or pay scales were
discovered, as there would be other culture indications/problems.

On the other hand, if an employer is looking for motivated personnel,
they will reward those over paycheck collectors (if they are worth their
salt) ... my philosophy is to get rid of those types of employees, no
matter their talent, as they are uninspiring and intolerable to work
with and demand very high pay.  Productivity means nothing to me if the
producer is a prima donna, or even smells like one, and cannot work into
the company culture.

This whole thread suggests money is a lasting motivator. I disagree with
that basis.  While making a living is important, once you earn one pay
scale, you will consume any new levels of income, and then desire more
in a seemingly never ending cycle.  It's human nature.  I've been at the
top where I could earn a thousands in 60 seconds and still be stressed
for the lack of funds, and then be at other points were $2000 was more
than enough for an entire month.  So if yer just job hopping for
paycheck carrots, then yer probably not a good employee/investment in
the long run, except for working in large companies that really don't
give a flying leap about their employees and waste money just to hear
their name echoing in a dry toilet because it sounded good (like CEOs
and VPs that move around almost annually).

Right now is a time to get away with such practices, but when things get
tight, as they always cycle back to at various points, smart HR folks
will be looking for known loyalty combined with the desired talent.  The
rest will be out at the soup line looking for a different type of handout.

Mister Ed