Salary Spin

Robert Merrill robertmerrill at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 16:48:46 MDT 2007

On 8/16/07, Bryan Sant <bryan.sant at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you make $37k and feel that you deserve say $50k, then push your
> employer to pay you that amount.  Now I'm not advocating the whole,
> "You better give me a raise or I'm out of here!" thing.  I'm
> suggesting that one should talk with their management and tell them
> point blank, "I want to make $50k per year.  How can we work together
> to get me at that level?"  Don't just throw out an ultimatum.  Give
> your employer forewarning that you expect a BIG raise this year.  In
> that same conversation you'll likely find out how realistic it is to
> get that raise based on their reaction.  You may also find out what
> they expect you to change/improve for them to feel they're getting a
> better you in exchange for the cash.
>
> This is a *very* uncomfortable conversation, so most persons avoid it.
>  However, I would highly recommend it...  Just be prepared to find
> another job within that year if your employer's reaction is
> unfavorable.
>
> -Bryan

Good advice -- Most employers try hard to be good to their
employees... benevolent dictators at a minimum.  I would say, this is
especially true for technical managers -- skilled more in keeping the
network and servers up than keeping the geeks smiling.

It's tough and everyone gets jaded when time after time talented
people walk in and give notice without even giving the company a
chance.

Telling them you want to work out a way to get from $x to $y will help
them see not only your desire, but your business intelligence as well.
 This shows an additional strength and personality that could set you
apart even more from the crowd. Remember companies do their best to
keep the people they feel are extra valuable.

However, if you have that conversation and they waffle on you--give
excuses or start hedging everything... then that may be an indicator
that things really won't ever change... and such are the times to
begin strengthening your network and planning your exit.