Salary Spin

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 14:44:49 MDT 2007

Recent discussions have me thinking about something HR and management
have both told me on occasion.  They say that it's good to have a
salary that's lower in the range for your position because it means
they can give you bigger raises - there's more room to grow.  The
corollary is that it's bad to have a salary near the top of the range.

I would have discounted the idea entirely except that one of my
college professors told me something similar when I asked for advice
about which job to take when I graduated.

Assuming one is qualified for one's position, how can a potential
raise be a better thing than being paid that much in the first place?
I get that it feels good to get a big raise, but mathematically it
doesn't make sense.  Is there some subtle truth here I'm not seeing?