Hiring Sr. Sysadmin

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Thu Aug 16 13:24:30 MDT 2007

I would argue that if an admin has the mindset and learning ability that
is required of a senior admin, then 5 yrs is definitely enough time to
become senior level.  If it takes you much longer than that to learn how
to learn and where to find the answers then they may never become senior.

And we all know that only half of being a senior is the experience, the
rest is knowing how to find the answers and being the "go-to" guy.

Don't get me wrong.  The experience needs to be there.  But even the
greatest admin in the world is only mediocre until he learns his
particular setup and systems.  And knowing how to find the answers sets
him apart from the general sys admin crowd.

And the 50th percentile is where it is because of the wanting a wizard,
paying for a novice, and getting a user.

And the art of giving titles as part of compensation.  I know a mid
level guy that calls himself CTO because he is the only guy in his
company that knows how to turn on a computer.

-Steve