Hiring Sr. Sysadmin

Dan Hanks danhanks at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 12:18:00 MDT 2007

On 8/16/07, Robert Merrill <robertmerrill at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/16/07, Dan Hanks <danhanks at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > - Dan is asking for 3 flavors of Linux,
> >
> > Well, you could argue that RedHat/CentOS/Fedora are really just subtle
> > variations on the same flavor of Linux, 3 similar dialects of the same
> > language, Spanish spoken in Mexico, Chile, and Argentina.
>

> My recruiter ignorance just shone through brilliantly.  Thanks for the
> clarification. I did know that Fedora and RedHat were very close though...
> maybe that gets me some points?

For further clarification:

RedHat funds and supports the Fedora project, which is essentially a
community-driven Linux (and in a way the precursor for future RHEL
versions). Fedora 1 was essentially the next step after the old RedHat
9. RHEL 4 was essentially FC3. RHEL5 started essentially from FC6.
Redhat takes the nice things that come out of the Fedora project and
funnels them into their Enterprise RedHat Linux.

CentOS, following RedHat's lead (lest anyone read any bad Karma in
what they're doing) in taking existing open source code takes each
RHEL release and rebuilds it from source, removing any RedHat branding
in the process. So CentOS5 is essentially RHEL5.

fwiw,

-- Dan