Hiring Sr. Sysadmin

Dan Hanks danhanks at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 10:40:26 MDT 2007

On 8/15/07, Robert Merrill <robertmerrill at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/15/07, Lars Rasmussen <lars.rasmussen at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > What is the salary starting point in Utah Valley for an experienced sysadmin?
> > I'd expect to offer 60k or more to hire someone with 5 years
> > experience managing Linux systems.

Since I'm not the hiring manager in this circumstance, I can't comment
on what the salary will be for this position, but I imagine we'll be
competitive.

> - this person must be "Self-educating. Self-managing.
> Self-motivating". Rare & valuable.

These are some of the key points I'd look for in the position. The 5
years experience is important too, there's a lot you pick up in that
kind of time. But above and beyond that I'd like to see someone who
has spent some considerable time in some O'Reilly/APress/New
Riders/etc books, is a rather frequent client of Dr. Google, hunts
down the right mailing list to subscribe to, knows how to pick out
just the right info from Vendor and other documentation and so forth.
Someone who has passion for what they do, and a desire to continually
educate themselves. Someone who isn't content with mediocrity, or just
"getting by".

> - Dan is asking for 3 flavors of Linux,

Well, you could argue that RedHat/CentOS/Fedora are really just subtle
variations on the same flavor of Linux, 3 similar dialects of the same
language, Spanish spoken in Mexico, Chile, and Argentina.

> PLUS mass-configuration PLUS
> virtualization PLUS PERL PLUS Oracle AND MySQL AND Postgresql.

Mass configuration is definitely something that will set someone ahead
of the pack. There is one kind of mentality required when admining a
box in your basement, or even a handful of boxes for a small startup.
There is a rather different mentality required when managing 100s of
machines across several environments.

Any admin worth their salt today needs to be familiar with
virtualization. knowing when to use virtualization and when not to is
important.

The database stuff is bonus. We use all three in our setup, so any
experience with any of the 3 will set you apart.

> ... it's the nuances that get you... all those little forks off the
> trunk are what separates the men from the boys (or, of course, women
> from the girls, hackers from the script-kiddies... whatever adult
> versus kid metaphors you want).

Have to agree with you there.

-- Dan