Hiring Sr. Sysadmin

Robert Merrill robertmerrill at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 20:06:32 MDT 2007

On 8/15/07, Lars Rasmussen <lars.rasmussen at gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the salary starting point in Utah Valley for an experienced sysadmin?
> I'd expect to offer 60k or more to hire someone with 5 years
> experience managing Linux systems.
> --
> Lars

For that job description Dan posted, with 5yrs experience?  I agree
hand's down on a $60K minimum.  I could see someone trying to squeeze
it down to $55K.  The key points for me are:
- this person must be "Self-educating. Self-managing.
Self-motivating". Rare & valuable.
- good Linux sysadmin experience, by itself is hard to come by, let
alone in 100+ machine datacenters.
- Dan is asking for 3 flavors of Linux, PLUS mass-configuration PLUS
virtualization PLUS PERL PLUS Oracle AND MySQL AND Postgresql.

... it's the nuances that get you... all those little forks off the
trunk are what separates the men from the boys (or, of course, women
from the girls, hackers from the script-kiddies... whatever adult
versus kid metaphors you want).

Btw, Salary.com shows $60K right about at the 50th %ile for the
generic "System Administrator" title: http://tinyurl.com/ypw89b