August PLUG Meeting: Mid-Career Development

Jason Holt jason at lunkwill.org
Wed Aug 8 16:31:00 MDT 2007

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007, Wade Preston Shearer wrote:

>> Oh, and another pet peeve: Apparently there are no "slow paced" software
>> development jobs. They are all "fast paced" and "exciting".
>
> ?and the always used "hard worker and team player." Is there any employer
> that wouldn't be looking for someone with those attributes? Is there anyone
> that would ever not apply for a position because they felt like they did not
> poses those attributes?

One of my favorite pastimes is exploring the value in the opposites of blanket
statements (I call them "backward sunday school lessons").

Team player: an *excessive* team player wants to collaborate on *everything*,
and won't ever point out when the emperor has no clothes.  While he's passing
around revision 16 of his proposal, the non team player has already built a
solution (or he's pointed out that the project wasn't worthwhile anyway).  A
"lone wolf" may be better at cutting through complexity or tackling the hard
parts of a problem, since he doesn't have the crutch of calling a meeting when
he gets to a tough part.

Hard worker: an *excessively* hard worker is probably neurotic.  How long is
he going to hold out at that rate?  And how productive are his 50th-80th hours
each week?  Consider a "lazy" worker who only does just enough to meet his
objectives, then spends the rest of his time at home by the pool.  Who's more
likely to go postal?  (Also consider Larry Wall's praise for Laziness,
Impatience and Hubris).