August PLUG Meeting: Mid-Career Development

Charles Curley charlescurley at charlescurley.com
Wed Aug 8 10:37:14 MDT 2007

On Wed, Aug 08, 2007 at 10:07:59AM -0600, Robert Merrill wrote:
> On 8/8/07, Jonathan Ellis <jonathan at utahpython.org> wrote:
> >
> > True enough, but to stand out you need to explain _what_ makes this
> > job more compelling/"fast-paced" than others.
> >
> > -Jonathan
>
> Sarcasm aside -- this is ABSOLUTELY what a good recruiter will do for
> you, and not the rest.

What if I don't want a "fast-paced" environment? "fast-paced" is
usually a euphemism for

"We write crappy code because management doesn't know what they want
and won't plan ahead. As a result our spaghetti code has metastasized
to the point where we have no idea what's in it, what it really does
or how to make it do what management wants this week. But it doesn't
matter because next week management will want something else. Since
you'll be the new hire, everything will be your fault and we'll expect
you to fix it instantaneously if not faster."