August PLUG Meeting: Mid-Career Development

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Mon Aug 6 18:34:04 MDT 2007

Robert Merrill wrote:
> - What aggravates you about job-searching and/or recruiters in general?

This may be more the fault of HR departments than recruiters, but
there's nothing worse than the job description that uses vague and
repetitive terms like this:

    Responsibilities of Software Engineer: Analyzes, writes, develops,
creates, maintains,
    debugs, and produces software.

They could have said:

    Responsibilities of Software Engineer: Develops software in C++ and
Perl.

I want to know what the job entails, and that includes whether I'll be
writing new code or debugging legacy code, or some mix of the two, and
if so, how much of each. It's nice to know how much direct interfacing
with customers will be required, and what size of teams are common. It's
also nice to know about project duration, and whether the candidate can
expect to work on the same team for long- or short-terms.

The other pet peeve of mine is when the job description is almost
totally irrelevant to the position, like when Java is listed as a key
skill for a C++ job, where all the engineers loathe Java, but the HR
department seems to be unaware of that fact. It seems as though some
recruiters don't realize there is a difference between languages, and if
they admit there's a difference, they almost never think there's any
significant difference.

Lastly, I very much like to see a salary range in job postings. I know
that's a can of worms, especially regarding the already employed, but
it's very nice to know as an applicant.

My $0.02.

--Dave