Changing LVM

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Sun Apr 29 15:03:27 MDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 11:13 -0600, Brian Hawkins wrote:
> What I want to do is change the two drives in the LVM from linear
> mapping to stripped.  My plan is to backup everything to the third
> backup drive and then reinstall (paying special attention to how the LVM
> is setup).  Once the system is re-installed I want to be able to restore
> everything.  By restoring it all I hope to skip past re-installing each
> individual app and updating it.

Why do you need to reinstall and restore?  You can backup the data,
tweak your LVM and then restore - OS and all.

> So my question is what is the best way to backup my root partition.
> Keep in mind I need to skip /backup as that is where my backup drive is
> mounted.

There are no less the 10 different ways you could do this.  It would
help to know how big your drives are, how much of the available space is
being used, how they are mapped etc.

Also, I suspect you will be doing this from a rescue disc - make sure it
understands LVM.  I would use the one provided by your distro.

Whatever you do,  make sure you understand your chosen course before
trying anything.  If possible, borrow an external disk to do another
backup to.  I hate to see people lose data forever while learning the
"best way" to do something.

Check out cp, cpio, tar, dd, nc, scp, rsync and others.

Good luck,
Gabe