Changing LVM

Brian Hawkins brianhks at activeclickweb.com
Sun Apr 29 11:13:53 MDT 2007

My current setup is three drives (FC6).  Two drives are in a LVM, the
third is mounted for backup purposes only and not part of the LVM.

My problem is that the default mapping for the two drives was set to
linear (unbeknown to me).  My whole purpose for having those two drives
in the LVM was for performance reasons, so I would like them stripped.

What I want to do is change the two drives in the LVM from linear
mapping to stripped.  My plan is to backup everything to the third
backup drive and then reinstall (paying special attention to how the LVM
is setup).  Once the system is re-installed I want to be able to restore
everything.  By restoring it all I hope to skip past re-installing each
individual app and updating it.

So my question is what is the best way to backup my root partition.
Keep in mind I need to skip /backup as that is where my backup drive is
mounted.

Thanks
Brian