PLUG Volunteer Programming Job

Ryan Simpkins plug at ryansimpkins.com
Fri Apr 27 15:16:41 MDT 2007

Okay, first off, let me kill any interest you may have. This has to be done in PHP
because that is what drupal uses, which is the CMS running plug.org. I realize a lot
of you dislike PHP, hence this disclaimer right off the top.

With that out of the way here is what we need. In the member profiles section
members can insert the programming languages they know. This is a text field, so the
data is pretty messy.

Each record in the database has the language names seperated by ',' or a '\n'.
However, several users have added comments and other chars. Also, the capitilization
for each language name is not consistent. Here is some sample input:

#############################
Python, C, Sh, Perl, Scheme (for brain exercise), Prolog (for brain exercise), C++
(under duress), Java (under duress), PHP (under duress)
C, Scheme, Common Lisp, Python, Java, Digital Mars D, C++, OCaml, F#, Smalltalk, Perl
Ruby, Java, Perl, C, C++

\nPascal
\nJava
PHP, actionscript, javascript
Perl, C, bash
C, PHP, Javascript, Java, Bash

PHP, Perl, Pascal, C, tcsh
perl, php, c, JavaScript, c++, java, python
C, JAVA, C++, PHP

C, C++, Java, PHP, Python, Perl??, and I'd like to learn Ruby soon.

\nRGP III Rails
#############################

The mission: Count the acutal language names (if at all possible) and output it
numerically sorted based on the count, example output (not accurate):

count - language
----------------
34 - Java
15 - C
10 - C++
13 - Perl
1 - PHP

It would be okay to start with a known good list of languages to use as a filter if
you so desire. It doesn't have to be 100% accurate. If we miss one here or there it
is not a big deal. Also, we really only need a subset of perhaps the most popular
languages to use as a filter. This will end up in a new stats screen that shows the
top 10 most popular languages PLUG members use.

Anyone interested? If so feel free to get with me if you need any details. If no one
is interested then it simply won't get done. I know this is kind of a pain, but I'm
really hoping someone can whip out the code in 30 minutes and feel like they have
made their contribution to PLUG for the year.

Thanks,
-Ryan