Rooting a local box

Steve Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Thu Apr 26 14:41:18 MDT 2007

You guys are confusing physical security with boot security.

It is true that if you have physical access to a system, you can get
around any boot security, but you are missing the point that every OS
will eventually be used with a serial or console connection.

If someone compromises the console server (often easier than it should
be) then they have console access without physical access.  I would much
rather have the minor inconvenience of single user requiring a password
than make anything easier for a would-be cracker.