moving /usr to bigger partition

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Apr 26 12:12:00 MDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 11:56 -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Personally, I like Nicholas' suggestion a lot more.  LVM is great for
> situations where rebooting is a bad thing (servers, for example), but on
> a desktop, rebooting doesn't matter and LVM adds unnecessary complexity.
>  It's better to lazily make a filesystem that spans the whole disk, then
> use the time you would have spent learning and maintaining LVM to
> instead make regular backups.

*shrug* If you think cleaning your gutters and using a hammer is better
than buying a nail gun, I guess that's your business. Myself, I'd elect
to clean the gutters and buy the nail gun.

Frankly, I don't see how taking backups is a valid alternative to
learning new skills. Wouldn't you want to do both?

Sure, there's an up-front cost to learn LVM. But the whole point is that
there is no "maintaining LVM". LVM makes long term maintenance easier,
not harder.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill