moving /usr to bigger partition

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Apr 26 11:45:23 MDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 10:57 -0600, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> Since I want to do the best thing here, I have poked around and find that
> lvm2 is installed, but not yet setup on my system. Can I set up lvm2 now,
> with my system in place as is, and then use it to rearrange things? I am
> reading the documentation and howto, but it's still a bit fuzzy...

If you have a spare partition to play with, sure. When you create the
logical volume, don't use all of the volume groups space just create the
LV large enough to store the files you currently have. If you have to
grow things in the future, it'll be easy and you'll be glad you left
yourself some spare VG space. Once you get your foot in the door, you
can gradually migrate everything other than /boot to LVM.

If this is your first experience with LVM, you might want to find a
spare box and play with it before trying to switch a real machine to
LVM.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill