moving /usr to bigger partition

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Apr 26 10:12:36 MDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-26 at 10:05 -0600, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> I need advice on moving a directory, /usr, which now occupies its own
> partition, but which I'd like to have on a bigger partition.

The safest way to make this change is to boot from a rescue CD and move
the data manually. You should also be able to do it from runlevel 1
without too much increased danger. You don't want to make this change on
a live system.

This sort of problem should be a thing of the past. You should have used
LVM. With LVM, you would have been able to escape the limitations of
partitions and even reconfigure the system live. Since you're going to
have to shut the machine down anyway, maybe you should just backup all
your data, reformat using LVM, restore the data and bring the system
back up.

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill