moving /usr to bigger partition

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at fyrenice.com
Thu Apr 26 10:05:31 MDT 2007

I need advice on moving a directory, /usr, which now occupies its own
partition, but which I'd like to have on a bigger partition.

/etc/fstab includes this:

/dev/hde5       /usr            ext3    defaults        0       2

df -h shows:

/dev/hde5             4.6G  4.3G  106M  98% /usr

and
/dev/hde9              65G   12G   51G  19% /home

while root is:

/dev/hde1             250M  219M   18M  93% /

Don't ask why it's set up this way. It just is. I just want to change it
around by moving /usr to /dev/hde9 so that it has room.

How do I do this safely so that nothing gets hosed?

Scott