Contracting work, does anyone pay?

Merrill Oveson moveson at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 18:22:26 MDT 2007

On thing to do is to create your own LLC - limited liability company.
Then you only pay taxes on what you draw.
Expenses are paid for right out of the company - make sure you set up
separate bank account and keep the personal separate from the business -
this is very important for tax purposes.

As far as getting paid, I've been stiffed several times.  So you're not the
only one.  One thing to do is contact a collection agency and get a credit
application.  Then require the party hiring you to fillout the credit app.
I've also sent several companies to collections - unfortunately this has
only worked maybe 25% of the time.  Now I'm to the point where I don't
deliver unless the work gets paid for.  Sometimes, I give terms and then at
times I get burned. :-(   It happens to everyone.  A doctor once told me
that collects less than 50% of everything he bills!  (That probably has a
lot of do with insurance companies.)

The advice on billing hourly is right on.  Billing for the job will only
cause the hiring party to insist on endless changes and additions - and
cause you in the end to be working for pennies.  As a custom programmer you
have to act like an auto mechanic.  You give an estimate, but work hourly.
As problems or additional requests arise,  you keep the customer informed,
but stick to your guns of hourly billing.

Also in the custom programming world, a 50% retainer is standard based on
your estimate.  If anyone balks, you can always tell them "this is standard
procedure."

Good luck - I've been there and continue to live there!