Postfix Virtual Mail Server using MySQL

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Fri Apr 20 10:22:33 MDT 2007

On Apr 20, 2007, at 10:15 AM, Dallin Jones wrote:

> I am trying to set up a Postfix virtual mail server storing the
> usernames, passwords, and other info in a MySQL database. The sending
> and recieving of email seems to be working like a champ. The directory
> storing the Maildir data seems to be getting the mail. I can also send
> email no problem, both through SMTP and through `telnet localhost 25`
>
> The problem that I am running into, is that neither POP or IMAP seem
> to work properly. Thunderbird seems to get looked into a "Host
> contacted, sending login information" state. IMAP returns and error of
> "The current command did not succeed. The mail server responded:
> Unable to open this mailbox." I have tried tweeking all kinds of
> things, but have been unable get this portion functioning properly.
> Any ideas? I am not sure if it is failing with the MySQL queries, the
> file permissions on the maildir or what.  Here is the authmysqlrc:

Postfix is just your SMTP server.  What are you using as your IMAP/
POP server.  Cyrus?  uw-imap?  Courier?  Dovecot?  I have a very
similar setup, and have found that dovecot is a good choice for
maildir setups and will work with virtual accounts such as the ones
you have described.  The problem you are experience is most likely
that your IMAP/POP servers don't know how to authenticate against a
database vs. system accounts.

Grant