Wireless router

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Apr 17 20:11:31 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 17:50 -0600, Shane Hathaway wrote:
> Michael L Torrie wrote:
> > I recently bought an asus 500g premium, which has 2 usb ports, more
> > memory and flash than the linksys gl, and is cheaper than the Linksys
> > WRTSL54GS.  Openwrt works well on it (the only reason I bought it).  Now
> > if I could just get dansguardian tuned to run.  Right now it's consuming
> > too many resources despite the howtos, and locking up the router.  Does
> > anyone have any ideas on the dansguardian thing?
>
> Here's wacky idea: since it has USB ports, maybe you could use some
> flash memory as a swap partition... though I wouldn't be surprised if
> the kernel panicked as a result.  Fun to try anyway. :-)

It would work definitely.  I used to do this on my Zaurus  (same amount
of ram actually) with a CF card.  No panics.  The problem is that even
though flash memory has automatic leveling built in, it still has a
limited number of writes.  I'm not sure what the lifetime of the flash
memory would be if I used it as swap.  But certainly it's something I
want to check into.

Michael