Wireless router

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Tue Apr 17 11:47:59 MDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-04-17 at 11:32 -0600, Michael Lovell wrote:
> I don't know about any 802.11N routers but I have really been impressed
> with the Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GL routers. The early revisions of the
> WRT54G were built on Linux and very easy to mod. With the later
> revisions (or the ones in CompUSA and Best Buy now) they are built on
> some other cheap crap. But Linksys continued the Linux based ones in the
> WRT54GL. You can do almost anything with these things. If you are just
> playing on a local network, they will do just fine in their default
> config. If you want to do Internet gaming, you can set up QoS on it if
> you mod it. Check out this web site.
>
> http://www.openwrt.org/
>
> I do have to admit that the good Linksys routers usually cost between 10
> and 25 dollars more than the cheap equivalent. They are the only ones I
> use now though.

I recently bought an asus 500g premium, which has 2 usb ports, more
memory and flash than the linksys gl, and is cheaper than the Linksys
WRTSL54GS.  Openwrt works well on it (the only reason I bought it).  Now
if I could just get dansguardian tuned to run.  Right now it's consuming
too many resources despite the howtos, and locking up the router.  Does
anyone have any ideas on the dansguardian thing?