Wireless router

Michael Lovell toelovell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 11:32:28 MDT 2007

adam fisher wrote:
> I am looking for a serious wireless router. One that is going to let me do some serious port forwarding and allow me to play LAN games without a hiccup.
>
> Has anybody used any good N-routers?
>
> thanks,
> Adam

I don't know about any 802.11N routers but I have really been impressed
with the Linksys WRT54G or WRT54GL routers. The early revisions of the
WRT54G were built on Linux and very easy to mod. With the later
revisions (or the ones in CompUSA and Best Buy now) they are built on
some other cheap crap. But Linksys continued the Linux based ones in the
WRT54GL. You can do almost anything with these things. If you are just
playing on a local network, they will do just fine in their default
config. If you want to do Internet gaming, you can set up QoS on it if
you mod it. Check out this web site.

http://www.openwrt.org/

I do have to admit that the good Linksys routers usually cost between 10
and 25 dollars more than the cheap equivalent. They are the only ones I
use now though.

Mike Lovell