Along the same Text manipulation line...

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Apr 13 12:20:40 MDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-13 at 12:14 -0600, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> Occasionally I will copy text into a blank document, opened in VIM, only to
> find that each successive line is shifted, such as this:
>
> each line
>   is shifted
>     to the right
>       in a very
>         annoying pattern
> 	  which requires me
> 	    to manually restore
> 	      it to
>
> this sort of form
> where the lines all line up
> to the left side.
>
> What might cause this when pasting text into VIM and how can I correct it?

:set noautoindent

I have the same problem, but only when I use VIM from inside a terminal.
When I open GVIM it pastes perfectly. That's another solution I guess.

Hopefully you also know about the < operator. Use Shift-V to highlight
all the improperly indented rows, then use say 50< to un-indent them 50
places, which is usually enough to square them up.

Corey