Distributed source control @ Utah Python user group

Jonathan Ellis jonathan at carnageblender.com
Tue Apr 10 13:37:05 MDT 2007

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:41:03 -0000 (GMT), blr at robertsr.us said:
> > This Thursday (April 12) I'm presenting an overview of dscm in general
> > and Mercurial in particular.  If you've been happy with svn and you've
> > been wondering what the fuss is over this new-fangled distributed stuff,
> > you might find this interesting.
> >
> > Mercurial is part of the 2nd generation of dscm systems; it's 99%
> > Python, but is on par with git (written in C) for speed.  It's used by
> > OpenSolaris and Xen, as well as many smaller projects.
>
> I'm hoping I'll be able to attend, but I'm not sure yet, so here's a
> couple of things I'm wondering about.
>
> I'm evaluating our CVS replacement, and had just about decided on
> git/cogito assuming the Windows version isn't too bad (we have
> developers on Win and Lin).  Mostly we need better branching/merging.

That is a big assumption:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Git_(software)#Portability

> How's the windows version of Hg?

The command line hg client works fine.  (I'll be using windows for my
presentation.)  None of the free dscms have a really good windows gui
though.

> Will you discuss any of the following points:
>
> http://www.jukie.net/~bart/blog/git-vs-hg
> http://changelog.complete.org/posts/528-Whose-Distributed-VCS-Is-The-Most-Distributed.html

I'll give a high-level overview of dscm history and the current
landscape, but I won't get into the nuts and bolts of tool A vs tool B.
So the first of those is outside of my scope.  The second is closer to
the level I'll be covering.

> I've used git/cogito a little but I still think
>  in CVS, so even though git appears to have more
> features, I'm having a hard time deciding how important
> that really is (if it's really true).

My opinion is that if you're not working on the Linux kernel, you won't
use most of the git-specific features, and the relative (lack of) uptake
of git outside of kernel developers reflects that.

-Jonathan