High Load average no CPU utilization

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 11:43:11 MDT 2007

On 3/29/07, adam fisher <afisher at circlepix.com> wrote:
> When the load average goes to 149 I get a maxclients reached in my error log.  I can browse the web page fine fast and everything until that limit is reached.    So I am thinking it is an apache issue and it is not closing the connections.

Adam, are you using HTTP keep-alives?  If your apache box is not using
keep-alives and you're cycling a lot of http connections then you may
be running out of usable TCP sockets.

When you have your problem run:  netstat -tln

If you see hundreds of sockets in the TIME_WAIT state then your
problem is what I've described above.

-Bryan