VOIP Provider Again

Lars Rasmussen lars.rasmussen at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 07:34:21 MDT 2007

On 4/9/07, Gabriel Gunderson <gabe at gundy.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2007-04-09 at 16:51 -0400, blr at robertsr.us wrote:
> > What's a good VOIP provider for an Orem resident with Comcast
> > broadband?
>
> 2 1/2 years of searching tells me that there are none.

I'm not in Orem, but I've been with Vonage in Springville since June of
2004.  Over a year ago I switched to Comcast for my internet connection.  I
was much happier when I upgraded my Comcast upstream to 768kb, as I use my
Comcast connection for tv show torrents constantly.  Prior to Comcast I used
DSL with Vonage.

I've been looking at http://www.sunrocket.com/
of late because I think it could cut my costs in half.  I worry about trying
to port my existing phone number from one VoIP provider to another based on
some of the experiences I've read so far, especially those of departing
Vonage users.

Make sure to prioritize your voice traffic with a good firewall solution.  I
use pfSense ( http://www.pfsense.com/ ), and have not found an easier to use
traffic-shaping firewall that has as much active development.  I run my
torrents at 50kB/s upstream during waking hours, and 80kB/s upstream while I
sleep.  This seems to be a happy balance for my wife, who is a very vocal
VoIP tester.
--
Lars