Static vs. Dynamic IP address and email blocking

Michael L Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Fri Apr 6 16:58:44 MDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 15:59 -0600, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> > Comcast's extra bandwidth really is worthless, but more because it is so
> > asymmetric.
>
> Pray tell, what specifically makes Comcast's bandwidth "worthless"? What is
> then Worth MORE? At my office, I either have UTP or coaxial cable, provided
> respectively by Qwest and Comcast. What other options do I have, that would
> keep my broadband costs below $100.00 per month?

I should have said, for their non-business setups, the extra bandwidth
is really worthless compared to, say a 1.5 Mb/s connection. This is
because the upload speeds are a fraction of the download speeds. This
really kills the bandwidth for a lot of things, and makes interactive
things like ssh a lot less responsive.  If you are saturating your
upload bandwidth, which is about 256 Kb/s for home users, then your
download is going to drop way down.  Anyway, I'd rather have 1.5 up and
1.5 down than 7 down and 0.5 up.

> Isn't most of the 'Net access in the United States asymmetric, as opposed to
> symmetric services seen in Europe and Asia?

I have no idea.  Probably to a point.  The norm for dsl seems to be 1.5
Mb/s down, and 0.75-1 Mb/s up.