Static vs. Dynamic IP address and email blocking

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at fyrenice.com
Fri Apr 6 15:59:14 MDT 2007

+++ Michael L Torrie [06/04/07 13:19 -0600]:
> On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 07:02 -0600, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> > Is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY to have a dynamic IP address, and yet manage my
> > own email and send out email to recipients bearing @aol.com or @msn.com, et
> > al?
>
> Absolutely.  You have to bounce your mail through your isp's mail
> server.  Just set comcast's smtp server as the smart relay host (easy in
> sendmail, not sure about postfix).
>

> > I have had some mention dyndns but not sure how that would work with my
> > situation. When I switched over to Comcast, the cost for changing was $0.00,
> > but with an increase in bandwidth from 1.5 Mbps to over 4 Mbps. And yet,
> > despite the speed boost it's really worthless if I can't email to everyone
> > on my patient lists and others.
>
> Comcast's extra bandwidth really is worthless, but more because it is so
> asymmetric.

Pray tell, what specifically makes Comcast's bandwidth "worthless"? What is
then Worth MORE? At my office, I either have UTP or coaxial cable, provided
respectively by Qwest and Comcast. What other options do I have, that would
keep my broadband costs below $100.00 per month?

Isn't most of the 'Net access in the United States asymmetric, as opposed to
symmetric services seen in Europe and Asia?