Static vs. Dynamic IP address and email blocking

Michael L Torrie torriem at
Fri Apr 6 13:19:29 MDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 07:02 -0600, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> Is there ANY POSSIBLE WAY to have a dynamic IP address, and yet manage my
> own email and send out email to recipients bearing or, et
> al?

Absolutely.  You have to bounce your mail through your isp's mail
server.  Just set comcast's smtp server as the smart relay host (easy in
sendmail, not sure about postfix).

> I have had some mention dyndns but not sure how that would work with my
> situation. When I switched over to Comcast, the cost for changing was $0.00,
> but with an increase in bandwidth from 1.5 Mbps to over 4 Mbps. And yet,
> despite the speed boost it's really worthless if I can't email to everyone
> on my patient lists and others.

Comcast's extra bandwidth really is worthless, but more because it is so

> Please advise.

Ditch comcast? :)