Static vs. Dynamic IP address and email blocking

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Fri Apr 6 11:05:22 MDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 10:58 -0600, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> +++ Corey Edwards [06/04/07 10:15 -0600]:
>  > >

> In the routers section of my exim4.conf.template I already had the
> following:
>

> smarthost:
>   debug_print = "R: smarthost for $local_part@$domain"
>   driver = manualroute
>   domains = ! +local_domains
>   transport = remote_smtp_smarthost
>   route_list = * DCsmarthost byname
>   host_find_failed = defer
>   same_domain_copy_routing = yes
>   no_more
>

> I added your entry, right above, changing 'mail.example.com' to
> 'mail.comcast.net' which is I believe the correct setting for Comcast
> smarthost.
>
> Should I have both the smartroute and smarthost entries, or do I need to
> comment out the old one?

No, you can't have two smarthost routers. What you're seeing is the
wonderfully retarded default Exim config on Debian. While I generally
rip it out and put in a full fledged exim4.conf, that's often overkill.
I would recommend you run "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config" and follow the
instructions for setting up a smarthost.

Corey