Static vs. Dynamic IP address and email blocking

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at fyrenice.com
Fri Apr 6 10:08:20 MDT 2007

Corey Edwards [06/04/07 09:07 -0600]:
> On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 07:44 -0600, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> > Stuart:

> > It's $30 more per month, so I might make the jump to get a static IP, but in
> > the mean time, how would I ... (see below)
>
> Yowza! $30 a month for a static IP? That's outrageous. Sounds to me that
> you've traded service and support for a few megabits of bandwidth. It's
> your choice, but not what I would do.

My current bill with Comcast, for their Business Lite package, which is 4
Mbps, with dynamic IP...is $50 per month. To boost it up to the next tier
with a Static IP, brings the price to $80 or so per month.

> > > You can continue to send email out, but instead of sending it directly
> > > to AOL or MSN, you will have to configure your MTA to relay every
> > > message through your ISP's MTA. Because your ISP's MTA has a
> > > non-residential IP, AOL and MSN are more willing to trust it.

> > ... configure my email Exim4 to route my Outbound email through Comcast's
> > MTA? I'd gladly do that if it would mean the email goes out...and reaches
> > the recipient. Please advise.
>
> smartroute:
>   driver = manualroute
>   transport = remote_smtp
>   domains = ! +local_domains
>   route_list = * mail.example.com

I know enough about exim just to be dangerous. Is this the exim4 config file
that i need to update? or elwhere?

Scott