Static vs. Dynamic IP address and email blocking

Dr. Scott S. Jones scott at fyrenice.com
Fri Apr 6 07:44:04 MDT 2007

Stuart:

> On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 07:02 -0600, Dr. Scott S. Jones wrote:
> > I recently switched from Qwest/Xmission, where I believe I had a Static IP
> > address for DSL to my office, to Comcast, with dynamic IP address. I am now
> > running into several problems with sending email.

> Gone are the days when Linux geeks could run their own servers on a
> cheap DSL or cable connection. There may be some lucky stragglers, but
> you'll probably be best off upgrading to a more friendly ISP or an
> expensive business quality connection, or renting space on a virtual
> server.

It's $30 more per month, so I might make the jump to get a static IP, but in
the mean time, how would I ... (see below)

> You can continue to send email out, but instead of sending it directly
> to AOL or MSN, you will have to configure your MTA to relay every
> message through your ISP's MTA. Because your ISP's MTA has a
> non-residential IP, AOL and MSN are more willing to trust it.

... configure my email Exim4 to route my Outbound email through Comcast's
MTA? I'd gladly do that if it would mean the email goes out...and reaches
the recipient. Please advise.

> As for incoming mail, you might be able to pull something off with
> dyndns, but it's only going to get harder with time. One of the major
> reasons I run my own MTA is so I have complete control over SPAM
> filtering. If Comcast isn't already doing it, I bet it's only a matter
> of time before they automatically filter all email going to an IP they
> own as a "service" whether you want it or not. Which will probably mean
> they'll throw away messages you want to receive.

I get all my incoming mail. Comcast has, if i understand it correctly,
routed everything through to me, at least in my direction.

Scott