Next plug meeting: Django

Scott Paul Robertson spr at scottr.org
Thu Apr 5 16:31:55 MDT 2007

On Thu, Apr 05, 2007 at 10:32:27AM -0600, Michael L Torrie wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 09:46 -0600, Gabriel Gunderson wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 09:25 -0600, Daniel C. wrote:
> > > Would it be possible to take a few minutes to discuss some of Django's
> > > weaknesses?
> >
> > http://gundy.org/2006/10/16/django-vs-the-amd-sempron/
> >
> > http://gundy.org/2006/11/03/django-rules/
> >
> > Discuss away.
>
> Using Django doesn't mean you have to use its buggy ORM, right?  Can't
> you just use a better system, like SQLalchemy?

A number of the parts of Django can be used independent of the ORM.
Forms, template system, url management. A number of the rather handy,
time-saving parts of Django rely on you using the ORM though. You could
create models through the ORM, and then in your code use another ORM
(like SQLalchemy), but any of the shortcuts could run into the problem
that Gabe describes.

I'm currently using the template system on my website without any other
parts of Django.

The query system (which is the problem in Gabe's case) is under going a
big refactor right now by one of the core developers, and should fix a
lot of these problems. Additionally, the refactor should make it much
more possible to add SQLalchemy support to Django directly.

--
Scott Paul Robertson
http://spr.mahonri5.net