MX Records reliable

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Apr 5 15:25:26 MDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-05 at 15:16 -0600, Daniel wrote:
> I have a form where people can submit feedback to the webmaster.  I
> want to make sure I can reply to the patron.  Would I get most of my
> patrons verified if I check for an MX Record for the email address
> they provide?

As long as you're willing to accept that some people will get mad
because their domain only publishes an A record or their DNS is
temporarily unreachable. The first is technically incorrect and the
second might not be your fault, but you might want to think carefully
about what to do if the test fails. Maybe allow the address anyway, but
warn the user "Please double check your email address. It may be wrong,
or the Internet might have hiccuped."

Stuart Jansen              e-mail/jabber: sjansen at buscaluz.org
                           google talk:   stuart.jansen at gmail.com

the results." -- Winston Churchill