NFS Write speed slow

Dave Smith dave at thesmithfam.org
Tue Apr 3 09:11:20 MDT 2007

Adam Findley wrote:
> History repeats itself eh?  I haven't tried the usual suspects, as I
> have been doing some searching (lots) on google, and haven't gotten to
> much.  What is noatime?
>
> This is the fstab:
> nfs-home1:/home1  /users/home1   nfs
> auto,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,tcp,intr,rw,suid,retrans=15,timeo=6,nfsvers=2
>
> nfs-home2:/home2  /users/home2   nfs
> auto,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,tcp,intr,rw,suid,retrans=15,timeo=6,nfsvers=2

Try adding noatime to the list of options. This will prevent access
times from being written every time a user reads the file. Might not
help writes, but it's usually good for NFS to disable atimes. You could
also try increasing your wsize. 8KB is pretty small for beefy network. I
would incrementally increase it and watch the speed each time. Also look
at your uptime and see what the load average does on the NFS server.
Also try Wireshark to see what the packets are doing. There could be
some artificial delay between packets for some reason or another. Do
your other NFS servers work as fast as expected (assuming this isn't the
production box)?

--Dave