NFS Write speed slow

Adam Findley adam at cs.byu.edu
Tue Apr 3 01:41:09 MDT 2007

Dave Smith wrote:
> Adam Findley wrote:
>> So I have setup a fresh new Archlinux workstation here at the BYU CS
>> department, and it's NFS read speeds are tremendous, but the write
>> speeds are horrendous.  Anyone know what causes such problems?
>
> Wow. History really does repeat itself. :) I assume you've tried the
> usual suspects, noatime and friends in /etc/fstab? Are local writes to
> the disk nice and fast as you'd expect?

History repeats itself eh?  I haven't tried the usual suspects, as I
have been doing some searching (lots) on google, and haven't gotten to
much.  What is noatime?

This is the fstab:
nfs-home1:/home1  /users/home1   nfs
auto,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,tcp,intr,rw,suid,retrans=15,timeo=6,nfsvers=2
nfs-home2:/home2  /users/home2   nfs
auto,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,hard,tcp,intr,rw,suid,retrans=15,timeo=6,nfsvers=2

Local writes are quite fast and normal.

Thanks,
Adam