good firewall for linux

Kyle Waters unum at unum5.org
Tue Sep 26 16:36:27 MDT 2006

SlackwareTeen wrote:
> Could anyone point me to a good firewall for linux? Thanks. every time
> i find a firewall i think is good, i either don't have the right
> libraries, or it doesn't work under any user but root
Let me explain a little how firewalls work in linux.

Built into the linux kernel is something called iptables. This is what
you will be using as your firewall in linux.  Everything else you see is
just a front end to make it easier to deal with.  Personally I really
like shorewall(you should check and see if it's part of your distro)
There are some nice gui's, but they ALL run as root, because you can't
run iptables as a regular user.  Maybe you should let us know what you
expect the firewall to do.  I know some firewall's pop and ask
permission to connect to other computers, this is generally considered
useless, and I don't know any linux firewalls that provide that(Doing it
as a non-root user is even more useless).

Kyle