Die NOW?

Corey Edwards tensai at zmonkey.org
Mon Sep 25 14:25:21 MDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 12:40 -0600, Jeff Schroeder wrote:
> Steve asked:
>
> > But what if I need it to die RIGHT now.  Is there a bash command I
> > can use to kill the process immediately without "asking it's
> > permission" as seems to be the case with my current method?
>
> Use the "-9" flag to the kill/killall command, which will signal an
> immediate termination.
>
> # killall -9 mygame

This should be your last resort. Normally I send a SEGV (signal 11)
first and see if the process will die gracefully. That gives the process
a chance to clean up sockets, files, etc. SIGKILL doesn't allow it to do
anything further. Even in the case were a process is locked waiting on
I/O, as soon as it comes back, it's toast.

Corey