IRC, how safe is it?

Michael Torrie torriem at chem.byu.edu
Sat Sep 23 14:04:23 MDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-09-23 at 13:52 -0600, Dave Smith wrote:
> SlackwareKid wrote:
> > How safe is IRC, I'm not allowed to use it because my brother and my
> > dad said that it isn't to safe for the network. I was wondering, how
> > safe is IRC?
>
> Depends on your definition of "safe." I feel pretty safe chatting on
> #utah, but I wouldn't venture out into many other rooms. Depending on
> your moral code, IRC could also pose lots of non-technical risks. This
> may be what your family is referring to.

I stopped chatting on #Utah when we had a few kids get on and say
interesting things.  Guess that makes me an old fogey when everyone is a
young punk to me.  haha.

Certainly outside of freenode.net, the IRC is one big nasty wild west.
More wild than even the AOL chatrooms, which are pretty out there
(didn't know that some things could even be fetishes for people).  This
is partly the reason in my department at BYU we block IRC completely.
The main reason for blocking IRC, though, is that spam zombies and other
machines infected with MS Viruses or trojans use IRC to communicate with
and take commands from their masters.  So port 6667 is blocked (maybe
194 too -- I can't remember off hand).

By the way, it's sad that freenode's lilo died (a real person who was a
sysop).

Anyway I see those darn kids running across my lawn again so I guess
I'll get out of my easy chair and shake a broom at them or something.

Michael